/page/title

1895 to 1959

A Timeline of Dauntsey's History

1895 - 1959

1895

May 7th - The Rt. Hon. Joseph Chamberlain opened the new buildings and officially inaugurated Dauntsey's Agricultural School. The Head Master was F.W. Long (pictured right).

Long.jpg

1898

 There were 60 boys in the school.

1900

 The numbers were 37, of whom 12 were boarders. Mr. F.O. Solomon was appointed Head Master in place of Mr. F.W. Long.

1902

 The School magazine was started.

1912

 A new wing was added to the north end of the school. This provided a joint Museum and Library with
 Masters' accommodation above. The old museum was changed into a common room for indoor games. The tuck shop was instituted.

1913

 Six acres of land purchased.

1914

 Canadian troops were billeted in the school.

1919

Mr. F.O. Solomon retired; Mr. G.W. Olive was appointed Head Master (pictured right). Proposal to raise Boarding fees from £45 to £60 / £75. There were 67 pupils in the School.

g w olive.jpg

1921

 New farm buildings were constructed.

1923

 Name changed to Dauntsey's School and the first inter-house matches were organised.

1924

 The Head Master's present house was built. The Assistant Master's house, new Chemical Laboratory and  West Dormitory were built. The Old Chemical Laboratory was converted into the changing room.

1925

 The dining room of the Head Master's old house was converted into a reading room. Fives courts were  completed. A potting shed was erected by the boys.

1926

 113 pupils. Mr. S.W. Farmer O.B.E., a most notable benefactor of the School, died.

1928

 Woodwork shop built by boys. Electric Light installed. New Tennis Courts constructed.

1929

Purchase of the Manor House Estate, Marke t Lavington. Biological Laboratory (Farmer Laboratory) opened. Benefaction of £13,000 by the Farmer Trustees.

manor.jpg

1930

 Dauntsey's made a Public School. Name officially altered from Dauntsey's Agricultural School to Dauntsey's  School. Wing added to Sanatorium, changing rooms at Manor built, Cricket scoreboard built.

1933

 Farmer Hall opened. New School uniform introduced. The extra accommodation provided by the New Hall enabled the old Dining Hall to be divided into two rooms, devoted to English and History respectively. The  New Rest Room becomes the Modern Language Room, the Common Room and the Physics Laboratory.

1934

Manor developments: Swimming Pool, Games Room Craft Room, additional dormitory accommodation, accommodation for domestic staff (see below).

.

manorpool2.jpg

1935

 Advanced Science laboratories opened. Biological gardens formed. 

1936

Gymnasium built (now the Tedder Building). Exchange programme with boys from Oranienstein Gymnasium in Germany who visit Dauntsey's (pictured below).

German Xchange.jpg

Teddergym.jpg

1937

 New Changing Rooms and Dormitory Block built. Enlargement of Farm Buildings. Scout Troop formed.

1938

 Miniature Stadium laid out. Purchase of the remainder of Warrington Field, and levelling begun by pupils.  Scout Hut erected. Kitchens modernised and extended. Marsden-Jones collection of British Plants  established in Biological Gardens.

1941

Work on the land, food production and training of land girls. Domestic service rendered by staff and boys. Cycle Section of Home Guard and Air Training Corps formed. Purchase of two cottages (Prospect House). Mercers' Hall in London badly damaged by enemy action. Rhododendron and azalea avenue planted Manor Woods.

land girls.jpg

1945

 School opts to become a Direct Grant School.  Completion of levelling of Warrington Field by pupils.

1947

 Domestic Staff buildings at main school completed.

1948

 Sanatorium at Manor House completed.

1949

Building of Garden of Peace and Remembrance commenced on site of present Memorial Hall. Combined Cadet Force formed. 

memorialgarden.jpg

1954

 Opening of new school buildings to provide five classrooms and studies to house English, Modern  Languages, Geography, History and Classics - now the Maths Department.

1955

Retirement of Mr. G.W. Olive. New Head Master - Mr. D.J. Forbes.

donald forbes.jpg

1957

 365 pupils. Opening of New Science Building to house Physics and Chemistry, funded by the Industrial  Fund for the Advancement of the Teaching of Science in Schools (£18,000 grant).

1958

 Workshop built by boys. New tennis courts constructed next to the Head Master's House.

1959

The commencement of the new engineering block built by pupils, now the Lower School Centre.

engineering block.jpg