/page/title

1960 to 1980

A Timeline of Dauntsey's History

1960 - 1980

1962

Additional Biology Laboratory and Science Lecture Room opened.

1963

Completion of the engineering block.

1967

Olive Block opened: now Fitzmaurice House.

oliveblock.jpg

1969

Mr. D.J. Forbes retires. New Head Master - Mr. G.E. King-Reynolds. 410 pupils. Extra playing fields to the south of the farm buildings purchased by A.E. Hemens and given to the School. Cafeteria feeding introduced - new kitchen layout.

King-reynolds.jpg

1970

New squash court built. Dauntsey's School Sailing Club started, acquiring use of Griffin II.

1971

First girl pupils at Dauntsey's - 6 girls were admitted to the Lower Sixth Form in September.

first5girls.jpg

1972

Farm closed. Buildings used for School purposes. Memorial Hall building commenced on site of Memorial Gardens.

1973

Farmer Hall converted to Farmer Music School.

1974

Memorial Hall officially opened.

1975

Main School drive made safer - 'sleeping policemen' signs erected.

1976

Dauntsey's began to take girls at all levels. Conversion of part of Manor House to accommodate girl pupils - changing rooms, dormitories (including Manor Sanatorium) and fire escape. Staff flat also built. End of Direct Grant System. School becomes fully independent. Process towards complete co-education begins.

1977

School laundry built in Manor outbuildings. Conversion and modernisation of the School Sanatorium at Senior Girls' Boarding House. Social Centre in School House main building becomes the Olive Library. C.C.F. Hut removed. Sailing Club acquires use of Jolie Brise, famous gaff cutter originally built in 1913.

JB.jpg

1978

New Classrooms developed from existing Engineering Shop. Jeanne House opened for senior girl boarders. Car park adjoining laid out. Open Air Swimming Pool in valley at Manor broken up and filled in.

1979

Conversion of Lecture Theatre and laboratories into additional Physics Laboratory. Gymnasium converted, new storey added to provide classrooms and Lecture Theatre - opened by Lord Tedder in September. New Sports Hall building commenced.