Mercers’ Lectures 2015-2016
We are delighted to announce an impressive line-up of speakers for the 2015/16 programme of our renowned Mercers’ Lecture series, starting on 11 September.
This season, pupils and members of the local community will be enlightened and entertained by a range of speakers including a veteran journalist, a former Archbishop of Canterbury and a world famous explorer. Particular highlights include:
- Sir Ranulph Fiennes, explorer and adventurer
- Kate Adie, journalist and radio presenter
- Rt Hon Vince Cable, Acting Leader of the Liberal Democrats
- Rt Hon Lord Desai, Economist
- Rt Revd and Rt Hon Lord Williams, former Archbishop of Canterbury
- Rt Hon Professor Lord Winston, scientist, politician and television presenter
The Mercers’ Lectures are named in recognition of the links between Dauntsey’s and the Mercers’ Company, which go back to Mercer founder Alderman William Dauntsey, Master of the Worshipful Company of Mercers, who founded the School in West Lavington in 1542.
All lectures commence at 7.30pm and will be held in either the Memorial Hall or the new Pavilion; please check on the School website on the day of the event. Entry is free, but please contact the School if you wish to attend, either by sending an email to email@example.com or by telephone on 01380 814500. Before attending, please check the website for any alterations to the programme.
Mercers’ Lectures 2015
- Friday 11 September: Rt Hon Lord Green of Hurstpierpoint, politician and former Chairman of HSBC
- Friday 18 September: Sir Ranulph Fiennes, explorer and adventurer
- Thursday 1 October: James Turner, Head of Communications at Greenpeace International
- Thursday 8 October: Rosemary Martin, Group General Counsel at Vodafone
- Wednesday 14 October: Wendy Cope OBE, contemporary English poet
- Tuesday 20 October: Prof Mthuli Ncube, Chief Economist and VP of the African Development Bank
- Wednesday 4 November: Kate Adie OBE, journalist and radio presenter
Mercers’ Lectures 2016
- Friday 15 January: Rt Hon Earl of Selborne, ecological expert and businessman
- Monday 18 January: Rt Hon Vince Cable, politician and former Cabinet Minister
- Thursday 28 January: Baron Jones of Birmingham, businessman and politician
- Monday 1 February: Rt Revd and Rt Hon Lord Williams, former Archbishop of Canterbury
- Wednesday 10 February: Rt Hon Lord Desai, economist and politician
- Tuesday 23 February Rt Hon Professor Lord Winston, doctor, scientist, politician and presenter
Dauntsey’s is located in a beautiful part of rural Wiltshire, but the standard of speaker we have for this year Mercers’ lectures certainly illustrates that we are very much plugged into world issues and current affairs. We are thrilled to have such an interesting and varied schedule of speakers this year.
The lectures provide Dauntsey’s pupils and people local to the school with a great opportunity to listen – and contribute – to insights from some leading business and political commentators. We look forward to welcoming people to the School for some lively discussions." James Spencer, Master in Charge of Mercers' Lectures