- The Association shall be called ‘The
Old Dauntseians’ Association’.
AIMS OF THE ASSOCIATION
- To support and enhance the education of pupils at Dauntsey’s School;
- To keep members in regular touch with the School and with one another;
- To provide financial assistance in necessitas cases to members of the Association and their dependants through the Welfare Fund; and
- To adopt all other means as may seem fit to further the welfare of the School and of individual members of the Association.
RULES OF THE ASSOCIATION
The following are eligible to become members of the Association:
- Any former pupil who has honourably terminated his or her school career;
- Past and present members of the Governing Body;
- Members and former members of the School’s teaching staff, after the completion of five years’ service; and
- Any other person at the discretion of the Committee.
- ENTRANCE FEE and SUBSCRIPTION
- There shall be an entrance fee to the Association.
- The level will be set at the AGM on recommendation of the Committee.
- 10% of the entrance fee will be credited to the ODA Welfare Fund.
- 10% of the entrance fee will be credited to the ODA Bursary Fund.
- There shall be a separate annual subscription payable on 01 January each year for those wishing to receive the School Magazine [i]. The level of subscription will be set annually on the recommendation of the Committee.
- BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
- Members will receive notice of the Annual General Meeting of the Association, any other notices and publications which may be distributed, and will be entitled to attend functions or gatherings organised by the Association.
- The President of the Association shall
be the Head Master.
- Former Head Masters will be Past Presidents.
- Vice-Presidents may be appointed at the Annual General Meeting on recommendation of the Committee. Such appointments will be honorary and reserved for persons who have made an outstanding contribution to the work of the Association or School.
- The following Officers shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting to serve for a period of three years:
- Honorary Secretary;
- Honorary Local Secretary; and
- Honorary Treasurer.
- Past Presidents and Vice-Presidents shall hold office for life.
- The appointment of any officer may be terminated by a two thirds majority vote at an Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting.
- The Committee shall consist of the Officers as in Clause Four, and six other members who shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting to serve for three years by rotation.
- In addition the following shall be Ex-Officio Members of the Committee:
- The President;
- School Governors appointed by the Old Dauntseians’ Association;
- A member of the Academic Staff nominated by the Staff Common Room;
- Chairman of the ODA Bursary Fund;
- Chairman of the ODA Welfare Fund;
- The immediate past Chairman;
- The Editor of the OD Magazine;
- The Chairman or representative of the Parents’ Association; and
- Head(s) of School
- The Committee is entitled to co-opt at
any time a further two members of the Association to serve until the next
Annual General Meeting.
- COMMITTEE MEETINGS
- The Committee shall meet at least twice yearly, five members being needed to form a quorum.
- The Committee shall, at their discretion, appoint sub-committees to organise functions or deal with specific matters of the Association’s business on their behalf. Terms of reference and composition of the sub-committee shall be decided by the Committee at the time of appointment. Dissolution of sub-committees will be at the sole discretion of the Committee.
- ANNUAL GENERAL MEETINGS
- There will be an Annual General Meeting at which the following shall be transacted:
- To receive the Committee’s report on the activities of the Association during the previous year;
- To approve and adopt the Balance Sheet and Income and Expenditure Accounts for the previous financial year;
- To approve and adopt the Budget for the current year;
- To consider and approve any adjustments to the entrance fee and annual magazine subscription;
- To elect appropriate Officers of the Association;
- To elect, as appropriate, six members to serve on the Committee;
- To appoint an Honorary Auditor;
- To appoint to the School’s Governing Body when necessary.
- To appoint Trustees of the ODA Bursary Fund as necessary;
- To appoint Trustees of the ODA Welfare Fund as necessary; and
- To consider Any Other Business of which seven clear days’ notice has been given to the Honorary Secretary.
- The Honorary Secretary will give at least 28 days’ notice of the Annual General Meeting.
- SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING
- A Special General Meeting will be called by the Chairman on the written request of at least 30 members.
- URGENT MATTERS
- The President, Chairman, Vice-Chairman, General Secretary, Local Secretary and Treasurer shall together be empowered to resolve any matters of extreme urgency which may arise between meetings of the Committee.
- THE PRESIDENT AND CHAIRMAN
- The President and the Chairman shall jointly have the following powers between General Meetings of the Association:
- To make provision for any matter not provided for in these rules and which cannot be resolved by the process under Clause 9 - Urgent Matters; and
any dispute relating to the interpretation of these rules, to give any
direction which they may consider necessary for the purpose of resolving the
- AMENDMENT OF THE RULES
- No rule shall be altered or rescinded except by a two thirds majority of those present at the Annual General Meeting.
[i] It is the School’s official magazine known as 'The Dauntseian' that requires an annual subscription. The ODA magazine known as ‘The Old Dauntseians' Association Magazine' is a separate publication which sent free of charge to members of the ODA.