Dauntsey's School is a thriving co-educational Independent School located in an attractive rural setting close to Devizes in Wiltshire.
We are currently looking to recruit an experienced, hands on, Chef with a passion for food, and the ability to produce a quality product on a commercial scale working both independently and as a valued member of a tight knit team of 7 chefs. Good interpersonal and front of house skills are essential. Minimum qualification of 706 1/2 or NVQ equivalent.
Hours of work: 50 hours per week on a shift pattern with 11 weeks paid holiday.
The Catering Department
Dauntsey’s school is a large flourishing Day and Boarding Independent Co-educational School for pupils aged between 11-18. There are over 800 pupils in the school and some 200 teaching and support staff. The school site comprises of the Main school and the Manor House site; the latter is the boarding house for pupils aged between 11-13.
The Catering department aims to provide the highest quality of service to the school. It expects its staff to provide high standards of meals and a friendly, efficient and effective service whilst complying with quality, food hygiene, Health & Safety requirements reflected in the Department’s handbook of protocol.
The department serves over 1200 meals a day in the dining hall, along with providing catering for a wide range of functions such as parents coffee evenings, concerts and theatrical production receptions and dinners, governors lunches and elaborate summer balls. These functions can be in numerous locations around the school complex.
The majority of catering activities are provided during term time. The post holder will work a 50-hour week, which will include weekend and evenings. Any time worked over the 50 hours will be given back as time off in lieu or in certain circumstances paid overtime if cleared through the Bursar. The Catering Manager will decide this.
Purpose of Position:
- To carry out and the preparation, cooking, presentation and service of all meals using a variety of cooking equipment and methods.
- To ensure a high standard of professional practice throughout all procedures, from preparing and presenting at the hot plate or table.
- To be conversant with craft skills, and be creative in design and presentation of the finished product.
- To be responsible for the hygiene standards of all areas of the catering department and ensure quality control is monitored and standard maintained.
- To advise the Head Chef of any malfunctioning of catering equipment, heating, lighting or emergency systems within the catering department.
- To ensure the catering department and all the equipment is maintained to a high standard and in accordance with manufacturers guidelines and all equipment is in good working order. Informing the head chef of the need for any new or replacement purchases when necessary.
- To provide nourishing, balanced, attractive, varied and tasty meals as required, including special dietary needs, medical, religious or other (vegetarians).
- To ensure all meal times are adhered to, whilst preparing the food in different batches to allow for different service times.
- To garnish all food attractively and serve with traditional accompaniments.
- Liaising with the Head Chef to ensure all stocks are properly stored and rotated in accordance with manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Preparing daily lists of stores and accepting responsibility for these items after issue from the stores.
- To ensure all temperatures are logged throughout the receiving, cooking and serving processes.
- Ensuring that all food stored in refrigerators and deep-freezers is wrapped correctly labelled as to its contents, date of opening/storing “use-by” date etc.
- To actively contribute to the cleaning of the kitchen and the serving of food.
- To adhere to a kitchen and equipment cleaning rota.
- To monitor the servery during meal times ensuring the choice is not limited, presentation standards are maintained and you are smartly presented.
- To ensure team work and good relations are maintained within the Catering Department.
- To report any identified disciplinary problems to the Catering Manager.
- To ensure all Health & Safety regulations are adhered to and working practices are carried out.
- To be prepared to undertake any training the school feels relevant and beneficial. To then impart the knowledge gained to other members of the catering team.
- To carry out such reasonable duties as may be required
- Wherever possible to implement the equal opportunities policy into your daily routine.
- In accordance with the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, to be responsible for your own Health & Safety and that of your colleagues and staff.
- To observe the Health & Safety procedures set down by the Bursar of Dauntsey’s School.
- The above is not intended to be an exclusive list of tasks and only outlines the primary tasks expected.
- This post is subject to an annual performance review.
- This job description will be reviewed on an annual basis and any changes, if made, will be done in association with the post holder.
- Educated to GCSE Level
- City & Guilds 706 1/2 or NVQ equivalent
- Minimum of 2 years within the catering industry
- The ability to work calmly under pressure
- Good interpersonal and front of house skills
- Presentable and reliable
- An interest in Patisserie
- Previous experience within a quality boarding school
- Health & Safety Certificates
- Intermediate Food Hygiene
- Clean driving licence
For more information, please contact the Catering Manager, Mr Lloyd Childs on 01380 814650 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is Wednesday, 8 November 2017
Dauntsey’s School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, and as such successful applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure & Barring Service